- Must have served at least 90 days of active duty with at least one day during a period of war.
- Must have anything other than a Dishonorable discharge.
- A surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran at the time of his passing, and not remarried unless to a wartime veteran.
- Must require the assistance of another person to perform some of the daily activities of living.
- Liquid Assets limit is $158,00.
- Must be 65 years and older or totally disabled or blind.
Eligible Periods of War
World War II, Korea: 12/07/1941– 12/31/1946, inclusive. If the veteran was in service on December 31, 1946, continuous service before July 26, 1947, is considered World War II service.
Korean conflict: 06/27/1950 – 01/31/1955, inclusive.
Vietnam War era: 02/28/1961-05/07/1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam. 08/05/1964-05/07/1975 for Veterans who served otherwise.
Gulf War:08/02/1990 – a date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.